Saturday, August 16, 2008

Denver-Houston-Moscow-Singapore-Bali

I'm finally digging out from being away from home for too long! A few rainy days in a row have given me the time to get a little more organized.
So let's start the Journey Around the World to Indonesia at the beginning.
It took me about 36 hours to get from Denver to Bali - lots of connections and layovers are inevitable when you fly on award travel tickets. But I'll literally end up flying around the world on this trip, so that's kind of cool.

Moscow was an interesting airport, but our layover was short. By the time we got off the plane, went through security and got the to gate it was time to get back on board. I had a minute or two to gawk at some of the Russian dolls in the duty free store but nothing caught my eye.
The curious thing about this entire trip is the security process. Even though you were already on a plane and had been through security in at least one airport, they made you go through x-ray/metal detector inspections again every time you got off a plane. This was quite annoying since most regulations do not allow you carry water (liquids), so it was a major hassle trying to stay hydrated on so many long flights.



Singapore Airport was amazing! It was the cleanest, friendliest airport I've ever been to. Orchid gardens, koi ponds, places to lay down and sleep, an upscale shopping mall, free movies and free internet service in all the terminals. I've included a few photos of the airport here.

I finally reached Bali late in the evening (two days after I left Denver), and had an hour drive to Putri Ayu Cottages, located in the artist community of Ubud. I'm glad we stayed in Ubud instead of in the tourist hotels in Denpasar, even though our hot water and A/C were not the most reliable. We had a beautiful room that overlooked the rice fields in the residential area.



Each morning we watched the ducks as they were set free from their cages to do their job in the rice paddies. Apparently they help clean out the bugs and such - it was quite an interesting show!
The next morning we visited the local market where the vendors expect you to bargain, and always had a "morning price" just for you, so they could make a sale that would lead to success the rest of the day! They would take your cash and slap it on the items in their shop for good luck! I made a few good deals but did not hand carry some unique plates that ended up getting broken in transit.


Our guide in Bali brought us Indonesian treats each morning to sample. My travel companion Elly loved every bite since she was born and raised in Indonesia. I was somewhat adventureous and tried a few of the goodies, but I tended to stay away from those that were flourescent in color! Here's a sample of sweets made from rice and other local foods.


I'm thinking about creating either a slide show on a DVD or downloadable book from some of my world-wide photo adventures. Let me know if you would be interested in buying a copy!

Time to edit more photos so I can work on the next post!

Happy Travels!
Jan

3 comments:

Collabman said...

Great blog and very interesting. Sorry to hear those plates didn't make it...love the photos!

Collabman said...

Hey - I turned this on (Under your settings for comments) for all my comments:

Show word verification for comments?

This will require people leaving comments on your blog to complete a word verification step, which will help reduce comment spam.

It works very well! Just a thought...

CollabJan said...

Collabman,

Thanks for taking the time to visit my site and I appreciate the insight on keeping the spam out of the comments!

CJ